|Springfield Youth Orchestras
The Springfield Youth Symphony (SYS)
Under the direction of Carlos Elias, this ensemble is comprised of junior and senior high school musicians from over 20 different schools and home schools in Clark, Champaign, Logan, Greene, Miami, and Montgomery counties.
Since 1959, the SYS has provided one of the few opportunities in this area for young musicians to play in a full orchestral setting. Each season features several concerts and weekly rehearsals in the professional environment of the Kuss Auditorium at the at the Clark State Performing Arts Center.
Highlights of the Springfield Youth Symphony season include:
• Sectional coaching by members of the SSO.
• Chamber music opportunities with a Brass Ensemble and Woodwind Quintet, String Quartet and Percussion Ensemble. These small ensembles are featured in numerous performances throughout the school year. Students are chosen by audition.
• Master class opportunities with SSO guest artists.
• Project Protégé, a program in which select SYS string players are invited to perform with the Springfield Symphony during a subscription concert.
• A Concerto Competition for SYS seniors. The winner performs a solo with the SSO during the Side-by-Side concert.
• Collaborative opportunities to enhance each student's participation in the arts. The Youth Orchestra program has participated in exciting collaborations with the National Trail Parks and Recreation District, The Gary Geis Dance Company, The Springfield Museum of Art and the Clark State Community College Theater Program.
The Youth String Ensemble and Youth Chamber Orchestra
The Springfield Youth String Ensemble
The Springfield Youth Chamber Orchestra.
The SSO has further enhanced the educational opportunities of young area musicians by providing beginning and intermediate ensembles just for stringed instrument players. These two groups are designed to improve the skills of young string players, and give them an orchestral experience that they may not be getting in their schools.
Both groups rehearse weekly in the professional environment of the Turner Studio Theater at the Clark State Performing Arts Center. Each season includes several concerts and sectional coaching from Springfield Symphony Orchestra musicians.
Lori Wright conducts the Youth Chamber Orchestra, and Janet Fu conducts the Youth String Ensemble.
Ruth B. and Thomas F. Mackey Charitable Trust
Our 2014-15 Season
SYO & SCC Fall Concert
December 1, 2014, 7:30pm
Southgate Baptist Church
SYO & SCC Spring Concert
March 23, 2015, 7pm
Clark State Performing Arts Center
Auditions for 2015-16 Season
Applications are due April 6, 2015. Auditions will be held on Saturday, April 11, at the Clark State Performing Arts Center, from 6-8pm. To download information and an audition application form, click here.
To complete an online audition application, click here.
Click here for directions.
2014-15 SYODownload Documents
» 2014-15 SYO Handbook
» 2014-15 SYO Schedule
» 2014-15 SYO Registration Forms (complete and return by September 9, 2014)
Visit the SYS Alumni Blog
John Smarelli 1926-2005
John Smarelli was a member of the Springfield Symphony Orchestra for 42 years, serving as concert-master, assistant conductor, and conductor of the Youth Symphony for eight years.
John Smarelli is fondly remembered by SYS alumni for his passionate approach to the music, and his demand for hard work and perfection from each and every orchestra member.
The John Smarelli Scholarship was established when John retired from conducting the SYS. Graduating SYS members who plan on continuing their music education at the college level are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
A generous gift from the Ruth B. and Thomas F. Mackey Charitable Trust enabled the SSO to endow the John Smarelli Scholarship Fund, insuring that John’s legacy will continue for generations to come. We invite you to share in this legacy by making a contribution to the scholarship fund. Donations can be made to the scholarship fund through the Springfield Symphony office, or by clicking the button below.